The Valentine Economic Development Board has created a new program to help local business improve the façade, or outside appearance, of their building. The city council recently approved $50,000 from the LB840 sales tax fund to go into this new program. The Valentine Facade Improvement Program is a matching grant program designed for improvements to the outside of commercial properties within the Valentine City limits. Grants will be up to 50% of the cost of the project up to a maximum of $10,000.
Eligible Projects would include; painting, window replacement with energy efficient windows, signage, awnings and other improvements deemed appropriate by the ED Board. Funds could also be used for demolition to return building to former historic appearance.
The funds are available on a first come first served basis. Additional information or applications can be obtained from Economic Development Director Mike Burge by calling 402 376 6842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The program may or may not be continued in the future depending on the response of the business community.
Guidelines for the program are listed, followed by an application.
1) The Valentine Facade Improvement Program is a matching grant program designed for facade improvements to commercial properties within the Valentine City limits. The Facade Improvement Program provides assistance for the improvement of facades of commercial buildings for businesses located in the Central Business, Business Commercial and Highway Commercial districts of the city.
2) This incentive program is a result of efforts of the Valentine Economic Development Board.
3) Funding has been appropriated from the City’s LB840 Economic Development program for incentives for business owners.
4) Buildings eligible for this incentive must be commercial business buildings in the Valentine city limits or other designated areas as defined by the Valentine Economic Development Board. To be eligible the building must house an operating business or be in the process of opening a business.
5) The incentive program will allocate up to $10,000 in matching funds, up to 50% of total project cost, per building structure for exterior only work done on buildings that would enhance and restore the historic appearance of the building making the district more attractive to tenants and customers.
6) Eligible Projects would include; painting, window replacement with energy efficient windows, signage, awnings and other improvement deemed appropriate by the ED Board. Funds could also be used for demolition to return building to former historic appearance.
7) An application must be sought from the Valentine Economic Director. The proposed project will then be reviewed by the ED Board. If the board feels it meets the requirements of the program, the funding request will be reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Applicant has three months to start work or the application becomes null and void, unless waived by the VEDB.
8) The application must include a representation of the color scheme and artist drawing of what the finished façade is intended to look like.
9) Any reimbursement (up to 50 percent with a maximum reimbursement of $10,000), would come “after the fact” based on invoices. Projects may be less than the maximum.
- Reimbursement is 50 percent. It is preferred that work is done by contractors from Cherry County and materials purchased from Cherry County businesses. Please show quotes from local contractors/suppliers if you have them.
This application is to be submitted by the project sponsor. Property owners and business owners (i.e. tenants) may apply for this loan. If the project sponsor is a business owner/tenant, a letter of support from the building owner must accompany the application.
Project Sponsor (Applicant)Name(s)________________________________________________
I am applying for a ____Grant as a ____ Business owner ____Property owner
Project Sponsor Mailing Address _______________________________________________ Telephone_____________ Fax_______________ E-mail_________________
If a business owner/tenant is sponsoring the project, please attach a letter of support from
the property owner or his/her agent (See page 10).
Brief description of project___________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Total Estimated Cost of Project:________________
Project work start date:_____________ Completion date:__________________
SOURCES AND USES OF FUNDS
Please attach a lender’s commitment letter for any portion of the financing you intend to borrow from other sources. A “work element” is a component of the project, such as exterior painting, window replacement, or installing an awning.
With this application, the following information must be submitted:
- A “Before” picture of the property with this application
- Project description, with cost estimates for improvements to be made, including building materials, size and color.
- A sketched design of your proposed improvements
Return the completed application along with required supporting documents to:
Valentine Economic Development Board
Valentine, NE 69201